Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Being Reflective

(source: blog.al.com)

This blog is maintained as a prerequisite in the course I have taken up, which is, issues in publication and design. Prior to this blog’s take off, I have attempted to blog but I have always failed to keep up with regular posts. However, this course has taught me things that make blogging so much easier and a lot less dull. I have learned how I can attract readers with the theory of composition i.e. framing, salience, layouts (Kress and van Leeuwen, 2006). I have also learned to be more culture/faith/race sensitive when blogging so the risk of offending readers is lessen. This is because individuals may comprehend images differently and attempt to fill the gaps based on their own cultural background and experience (Walsh 2006). Last but not least, I have learned not only from writing this blog but writing for other assignments that I should never take content from others and present it as my own. It is of utmost importance to write original content, credit sources, quote properly and link to the originating article (Brown, 2007). All in all, I found the experience of blogging not only enlightening and eye-opening but also rewarding and valuable and without it, I would never know this much about publication and design. I am also grateful to have a great lecturer and classmates who have assisted me in my academic journey.

References
  • Brown, S 2007, Ethical blogging 101, viewed 16 june 2010, <http://modernl.com/article/ethical-blogging-101>.
  • Kress, G & van Leeuwen, T 2006, 'Chapter 1: The semiotic landscape: languase and visual communication' in Reading images: the grammar of visual design, 2nd edn, Routledge, London.
  • Walsh, M 2006, 'Textual shift: Examining the reading process with print, visual and multimodal texts', Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 24-37.

No comments:

Post a Comment